Monday, March 18, 2013

Family Life Weekend

This past weekend Deb and I had the opportunity to attend the Weekend to Remember Marriage Conference in Omaha.  To say we were blessed probably doesn't begin to describe it.  I always go into these things like I do coaching clinics.  Get one thing and it's worth the weekend.  Well, this was better than any coaching clinic I ever attended.  Every session I had my eyes opened to something new as they unfold God's plan for marriage.  

Two things really stood out to me.  

#1 - Our spouse is made in God's image and if we just take time to see them that way it may change our entire perspective as life happens and we may start to get frustrated. 

#2 - Our spouse is not our enemy or the opposition when tensions do arise.  (See #1)

Sure, I remember going through the old mandatory pre marriage counseling, but I was 21 years old and was just thinking get me to the wedding day.  To hear sit and see marriage through a different lens 29 years later was eye opening.  Stuff to work on?  Sure, but I'm excited to see where God can take our marriage in the next 29 years.  

Plus, as is a lot of things with me, there is a bit of competition.  Had couples stand up and gave a book to the couple that was there and been married the longest...43 won it.  Got beat by 14 years.  I told Deb we're going back until we win a book.  

Finally, it reminded me of how fortunate I was to grow up witnessing a Godly marriage modeled to me by my mom and dad.  Perfect, probably not, but they modeled for me how to pursue a Godly marriage.  I thank God for that.  Thanks Don and Peggy Gordon.  And even though mom's been gone now for over 7 years, I'm thankful God placed Kathy in dad's life to continue to enjoy marriage and institution that God gave us.  

Finally #2, Happy Birthday to our wonderful daughter Nicole, who turns 26 years old today (March 18th).  We're proud of you and love you.  

Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment