Monday, March 25, 2013

"Do as I do"

I'm reading a devotional this week that is designed to lead up to Easter. Today the thought was wrapped around the fact that Jesus came to give us an example on how we should live. The most incredible part of this is that What we celebrate this week gives us the power to live that out.

Jesus said "Do as I do" but he didn't ask us to do it on our own-His resurrection gave us access to His strength. Wow.....and then the words I read in the first verse in John 13 hit me right between the eyes. In John 13 Jesus is at the last supper with His disciples, but that's not what stood out to me today.

John 13:1-...."when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father"....and then it continues and He serves. He washes their feet. Are you kidding me? Jesus knew he was about to be betrayed and handed over to die and he serves. Me? I might have sat there and asked for a little more to drink or another slice of dessert. After all, it was about to be a fairly traumatic few days. No, He......my Savior......your Savior, got up and humbly washed the feet of those he was going to die for.

Can you just picture it? I did, and I think that's why it hit me a little differently today. God has blessed me with a position of leadership and I strive to be a servant leader, but I fail too many times because I worry about myself or am not humble enough, yet Jesus, in the week he is going to do die, modeled yet again what servant leadership should look like. And today it hit me.

Sometimes I get so caught up in what someone did to me, or said about me, that I won't or don't think they should be served. Oh, I'll be nice, but serve? They probably need to repent first, but today I see Jesus, facing death and He serves. I need to do more like He does. Not through my own power, I've seen how that works out, but through His power.

Rejoice! He is Risen!

Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment