Wednesday, April 13, 2011

History of the Verse




Yesterday I mentioned Jeremiah 29:11.  It got me thinking about the first time that verse really came alive to me and it fits right in with the journey we've been on and where we're at today.  So, the next few blogs will take us back and allow me to share the way life has unfolded for us. 

Back in the spring of 1999 we were in our 10th year in Manning, IA and I had a restless feeling in my heart and soul that I needed to do something else and felt like I had done all that I could in Manning.  I was burnt out teaching K-12 PE and didn't see any chance of getting to be an Athletic Director in Manning because my good friend who was the A.D. was young enough that he wouldn't be retiring any time soon.  (turned out that was correct because he just retired 2 years ago) 

That spring there was an opening at my parents alma mater Nebraska Christian College in Norfolk NE for a Dean of Students, Athletic Director and Men's Basketball Coach.  It was an appealing job because even though it was the lowest level of college basketball it was still college basketball and coaching college basketball had been a goal of mine for a few years as well.  In addition, getting to be an athletic director was a plus and I liked the idea of going to NCC because of all that I knew about it because of my parents love for the college and in addition my sister had attended for a year.

I was torn on whether or not to apply for the job for a number of reasons, but on a Saturday morning I was reading the bible and the my study took me to Jeremiah 29:11 and following.  I can still remember that moment and knowing that I had my answer.  I don't know where Deb was, but when she got home I do remember showing her the verse and we knew that I should apply.  I did get the job and spent two great years there making some great memories and friends.  But, probably more importantly, it introduced our kids to Nebraska Christian and I think Nicole ended going to school at NCC because we spent two years working there.

Which brings us to today and the first of my blogs a couple of days ago writing about Nicole and Brett and where they're headed in their lives. 

Did God bless me and all of the Gordon family through my experiences at NCC?....definitely. 

But was that the real purpose of us going there?  Maybe not. 

If Nicole doesn't go to NCC does she meet Brett?  Chances are probably not.

If she doesn't meet Brett is she going to Salt Lake City to support her husband and be a part of a campus ministry there? 

If Brett doesn't meet Nicole is he headed to Utah to minister at the University?  We don't know, but we can be sure that God does knew the plans that He was putting into motion on a Saturday morning in Manning, IA in the spring of 1999.  Now, 12 years later, He's preparing the way for a young couple to go to Salt Lake City and begin working in a life changing ministry. 

We may not always know the way that we should go or what we should do, but I think it's important for us to step out, trust the prompting of the Holy Spirit and let God put His plan into motion.  When we do that we may eventually see that God's Way sometimes takes years to play itself out and the first step may not have just been about us.  It may have been just the first step in God's plan to help people find THE Way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment