Monday, April 18, 2011

Taking Time



At some point I'll get to our families transition from to Treynor, IA and how that all took place, but today I'm reminded of that because what took place yesterday (Sunday). 

For the first time in what seemed like a long time we had our whole family at our house for Sunday dinner and then the entire afternoon.  It was special.  (the photo above isn't from yesterday, but when Jonathan was just a few days old)  Yeah, there were a couple of hours where Deb went to town with Brett and Nicole and I was home with a sleeping grandson, and two sleeping kids, but we were together. 

I should have mowed the lawn, put some more laundry in, dome some writing for the class I am currently taking, or even done some work for the track meet we hosted on Monday........but I didn't.  It didn't really matter yesterday. 

Seems like one thing I've come to appreciate in the past few years is to not get to worked up about some things and just be in the moment and I guess "smell the roses" a little bit. I'm not perfect at it by any means, but I'm trying to be better at it.

It's a matter of priorities.  Author Stephen Covey  says that  "the essence of effective time and life management is to organize and execute around priorities."  I think what I've continued to learn is that some days it's OK to wait until tomorrow.  Not as an excuse to not work, but just to prioritize what might be best to do at that time.  In the case of yesterday it was to enjoy our family.  The lawn still didn't get mowed today, and unfortunately it might got mowed for a few more because of the rainy forecast but I'll catch up with it. 

God also talked about priorities and being wise. 

Jeremiah 29:11For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Let's take time......

Time to spend with those we love just becuase we can.

Time to do what we should do, but not overdo it all at once.

Time to relax, rejuvinate, and relax. 

Time to  to look for God's plan and work to make it our plan, after all, He said He knows the plans He has for us.  Why do we seem to try and fight that?  If we would just step back, be still, and be in the moment, we might be surprised at what we find and it just might help us Find THE Way.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I remember this constantly whenever I'd rather play than clean. :)

    ReplyDelete