Monday, April 1, 2013

Busy, But Reminded What's Important


Man, what a busy day.  It was a great day though.  I accomplished a lot.  In fact, I was came home for a few  minutes in the middle of the day to tell A.J. good bye and told Deb I'd already done so much today I should be keeping track.  So as I sit here tonight writing this blog I got to thinking about today's day in the life of the Activities Director. 

1)  Solved eligibility issue of student.   
       a) called state athletic association to ask them.
       b) communicated personally with the coach regarding the issue. 
2)  Communicated several times with soccer coach regarding opening match of season. 
3)  Visited with Human Resources Director in her office. 
4)  Had a visit with a coach regarding a couple of ideas. 
5)  Responded to multiple e-mails. 
6)  Returned phone call to concerned parent. 
7)  Sent out Bid Sheet to vendors to purchase athletic equipment. 
8)  1 hour of lunch duty. 
9)  Began to formulate worker list for the 5 track meets we host. 
10) Communicated with golf coaches regarding upcoming meet and practices. 
11) 15 minute meeting. 
12)  Cover first soccer match of the season.  

That's most of the big stuff.  So then, I get home, grab some supper (Thank You Abby) and sit down to start writing my two blogs, both of which took a different turn than what I thought I was going to write about.  I'm in the middle of writing the blog for Carlisle Activities and it seems like Parker wants my attention.  I balk at first, but then my wise wife reminds me that it looks like he wants some Grandpa time.  So, off to Grandpa time. 

I was just reminded again that the most important thing we can give people, the people we love, those we work with, and even those we may just come in contact with on daily basis, is our time.  People don't need a blog, a Facebook post, or an e-mail to know you care.  They need us to be physically and mentally present and giving our time and attention to them.  The busyness and all of the stuff will be there.  We need to take advantage of the time we have wisely and not just use it to be busy. 

It was a good day, a day filled with accomplished tasks, and a day of being reminded again. 

In Luke, Jesus gave an excellent example on what we should be about first and foremost: 

Martha and Mary
38 Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered her,“Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment