Monday, April 8, 2013

When Opportunity Arises


This week I'm sharing the same blog on both of my blog sites.  I was just so moved by this.  I can't imagine the feeling of the little boy, the tears from the parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and even fans.

Most sports fans have seen by now what happened last Saturday at the Nebraska Spring Game.  What a moment for young Jack Hoffman.  What a moment for the Nebraska players and coaches who made it happen.  Now, I'm not a Nebraska fan, but I'm a fan of the value of participation in athletics and for that reason, I applaud the University of Nebraska.

20 years from now when they get together to reminisce some will talk about a tough win they have during next fall's 2013 football season.  Some may talk about a tough loss and how one got away from them.  A few may talk about a prank or two they pull on a teammate. But, they ALL will talk about the touchdown that 7 year old Jack Hoffman scored in Memorial Stadium that afternoon on April 6, 2013.

It's moments like these that make me do what I do and why I think the world of athletics is so special.  The important thing is to be ready to act when the moment presents itself.  Sometimes we only have a brief window to respond when that opportunity arises and I think we need to be ready to act.  It may take a little extra work and a little extra time, but be on the lookout for how you can help make a memory for someone else.  In the end, you'll be making a memory for yourself too.  One that means a whole lot more than any championship game you might ever win.

Make a difference. 


No comments:

Post a Comment