Monday, August 12, 2013

Influence vs. Impact




I have been reading a lot of leadership stuff over the summer. I subscribe to a few newsletters, e-mail lists, and come across good stuff on Twitter.  


I’ve been thinking a lot about Influence vs. Impact.   

First off, what’s the difference?  In my mind we have influence when we have rules, expectations, and things that control people’s behavior.  Those can be good, and can have value to help people do what’s right, but it may not have a real lasting value.  Coaches have rules in hopes of keeping athletes from getting into trouble.  I have expectations for coaches that I think are good for their programs and will also benefit the students they are working with.  They aren’t bad, can be positive for people, but I don’t think they have any real lasting value.  Just a way to do something and control a situation.  

Impact is bringing a lasting affect on a person or situation.  Think about the people in your life that have had a lasting impact in what you do for a living, what you believe, how you treat people, and live your life.  Some had that Impact a long time ago, while others may be in your life at this very moment. The list can change, but we all know who those people are.  Their influence is beyond enforcing a few rules. It changes who we are.

Two thoughts:

1) I shudder to think of the number of times I’ve missed an opportunity to Impact a person’s life.  I have gotten too caught up in coming up with the things that influence people and have not focused enough on people and serving them.  That’s how we Impact.

2)  Impact is risky and can be disappointing.  When we offer ourselves up to people and invest in their lives we can also be setting ourselves up to be turned away. I know I need to continue to look for situations where I can Impact and not worry about potential failure.  It’s like we size someone up and think about if they're worthy of our effort.  That’s selfish and not what we should be about if we want to have a servant’s heart.  

Wait.....there was a man who came to earth a little over 2,000 years ago that could have felt the same way but didn't.  I wasn't worth the risk, and there have been countless times that I’ve disappointed Him.  I’m glad He has continued to make an impact on my life.  I think my life should reflect the example that He set. 

The Impact He’s had on my life needs to be reflected more.  More of Him, less of me.  That’s how we can have a true impact on the people we’re living life with.  Yeah, it's risky, but there are some people whose lives depend on us taking that risk. 

Invest and Impact = Leadership




No comments:

Post a Comment